Skip to main content

About mental health and the stigma

 Dear readers,

A moment ago I finally realized why I have the urgent and important need to write a lot. Especially about mental health, my personal experiences and all the knowledge and wisdom that I have gathered during these years. I want to raise awareness, I want to help remove the stigma, I want to tell my story.

In August 2027 my mental health journey started 30 years ago, when I was 17 years old. It is a kind of celebration for me. How far I have made it, how strong and resilient I have become. It has taught me so much. At times I know more than the doctors and nurses. I am a pro. I have learned everything about the medicines that I have been given. A few days ago it hit me, I am not a loser and I have not lost this fight with my mental heath problems. I have conquered the problems, it has not overcome my mind or soul.

Anyway, the way it all started was that I was bullied in school for 10 years. Other places I spent time in were not completely safe either. When I was 17 years old, I wanted to serve a mini-mission. I was called to Jyväskylä, I spent two weeks there with my two companions sisar Barnes and Free. From the first day there, I can remember symptoms of my mental health problems beginning. I have told this to many friends, I am very open about this, about my history as a person struggling with mental health problems. I have never tried to hide it. I am not a fake person, I don't lie or conceal things. 

At times people tell me how I am so brave to keep on going, in spite of all the problems. 

Most often though, I am bullied, belittled, put down and even shunned because of my problems.

People just don't understand it. They have not learned anything, they have prejudices.

The reason I want to write this, is so that you can learn, understand, so that others who have these problems would be understood and treated better than I have been treated. There are a lot of tragedies in life, this is just one of them. It has helped me to feel compassion and empathy, it has made me stronger and wiser.

If you want to learn more about some things I have experienced and learned, I hope to tell you.

When I got ill in August 1997, I spent eight months in the hospital, on the youth ward, in the hospital Pitkäniemi, in the nearby city of Nokia, here in Pirkanmaa. The wards have since been moved over to an area near the main hospital TAYS in Tampere.

The feelings, thoughts, experiences that I am writing about are mine. We all experience things differently. There are so many different illnesses and diagnosis. I hardly even know everything about my own illnesses. The doctors have given me so many different diagnoses, and changed them when they have learned more about me and my problems.

I will continue this more later.

TA! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Depression in the dark

 Good morninng or whatever time it is when you read this! I hope you're doing well. I have been feeling a lot better than I usually feel in November. I think that my depression hasn't been bothering me for a while now. I am feeling a lot better, especially mentally. My right leg has a neurological damage and my leg is often very painful and I have no pain meds for it, because the pain is in the NERVE, no regular pain medicine can help and I have heard you get very loopy of the nerve pain kind of meds lol. I do NOT want to be loopy! Especially not from a medicine!  I have been feeling a lot more stable and even in my emotional life. I have been at home a lot. My friend Johanna helped me a lot many times when I needed to get around. I use a wheelchair outside my home. Because if I get a pain attack in my leg, I really can't walk and/or stand. Yesterday I had a lot of pain because on Sunday I needed to use my walker a bit at church. The pain came a little late, but it did come...

The Temple again :)

 Good morning dear reader(z), That Z only or mostly makes sense to those who have seen my "Cinderella monster" -alter ego videos made with snapchat! ha ha ha! At the end of each video I say: Hugzzz and kisezzz! lol. Yeah, I am weird. But so is my alter ego "The Cinderella monster"... Yesterday I visited the Temple again! This time I went to the Mount Timpanogos Temple. I really like it too. I mean, which Temple wouldn't I love?!? lol. They are all a little different but they are all equally beautiful, each in their own way... Like people!  On Friday I got the opportunity to go to BYU campus. I walked around (without my walker, mind you) over 3000 steps! Wau. I had the walker for over FIVE YEARS. Now I am done with it! :) I am SO happy! This trip has kind of transformed me! I am just a lot happier here. The sun is shining, the people are smiling and it's warm!  I so want to come visit soon again! :) I have visited two temples so far. Hopefully another one nex...

A slice of my life blog post :)

 Good afternoon from the cold and distant but friendly country of mine: Finland! 😊 Recently I have really been enjoying my life. I know, life is not easy, nor is it supposed to be easy, but it being easy doesn't mean it cannot be enjoyed. If you know what I mean... From time to time I have problems with my mental health, physical health, emotions and feelings. Here are a few things I have really been enjoying lately: - My faith in God and getting stronger in faith. - My mental health improving significantly and becoming happier. - My beloved friends and family, my bonus family and my new friends online and irl. - My political party and the things I can do to help them there. - My own courage increasing, my self-confidence becoming stronger and my understanding expanding. - All the good things I can do (small things) that make the world a little better place. I have had seasons of great depression, worry, anxiety even. I can feel really good in the morning and feel really bad and s...